Garry Davidson spent a lifetime in football, including stints with the Cats as a player and head of football, passed away last week.
Davidson was a towering figure in Tasmanian football. He was inducted into the Tasmanian football hall of fame in 2014 after a glittering career as a player, coach and administrator. He also played a key role in setting up the Cats for the long- term success of the past 20 years.
“Davo” as he was affectionately known led the Cats football department from 1999-2006, during a period where the majority of the list and coaches that went on to greet success were recruited to the club.
As a player he appeared 30 times with Geelong and 10 with Richmond. He debuted with the Cats in 1972 against Hawthorn, and concluded his league career with the Tigers in 1978. Davidson was also a star of the VFA, captaining Caulfield, winning two best & fairests and representing the VFA in five state games.
Davidson returned to Tasmania and enjoyed premiership success with Glenorchy and North Hobart as a coach, winning three premierships in a six-year period. He went on to coach the Tasmania state team and Teal Cup squad, and also served as the first manager of the Tassie Mariners.
Following his time at Geelong, Davidson continued his football journey with football manager roles at Belconnen and South Fremantle.
Davidson passed away at age 66 in Western Australia. He will be missed by all that knew and loved him, and the game will be sadder for his passing.
- Glenorchy coach, 1982-84 (67 Games: 54 wins, 13 losses)
- North Hobart coach, 1987-89 (60 Games: 45 wins, 15 losses)
- Tasmanian State coach, 1984-86 (9 Games: 6 wins, 3 losses)
- Tasmanian Teal Cup (U18) Coach 1985-86, 1992-95
- Glenorchy TANFL premiership coach, 1983
- North Hobart TFL Statewide League premiership coach 1987, 1989
- TFL State Coaching Director, 1985-86
- North Hobart Team of the Century (Assistant Coach)
- Geelong Football Manager, 1999-2006
- Belconnen (NEAFL) Football Manager, 2007-2010
- South Fremantle (WAFL) Football Manager, 2012-14
- 35 games, 78 goals for Devonport, 1970-71
- 30 games, 16 goals for Geelong, 1972-74
- 10 games, 9 goals for Richmond, 1978
- 89 games, 154 goals for Caulfield (VFA) 1976-77, 1979-81
- 60 games, 176 goals for Glenorchy, 1982-84
- Caulfield captain 1977, 1980-81
- Caulfield Best and Fairest 1977, 1979
- Glenorchy TANFL premiership 1983
- Devonport Leading Goalkicker 1971 (42)
- Glenorchy Leading Goalkicker 1983 (62), 1984 (63)
- Caulfield Leading Goalkicker 1980 (58)
- Two representative matches for Tasmania
- Five representative matches for VFA, 1977-81
- One representative match for NWFU
* Image from Bob Gartland Collection