Is Next Gen open to everyone?

The Cats Next Gen Academy is a program that focuses on future and current players from diverse backgrounds and Indigenous communities. In the Barwon region, we are fortunate to have a well developed pathway for young talented footballers (through 35 local clubs and the Falcons programs). Next Gen Academy, in partnership with the broader football community will address barriers that currently prevent some young players having their best shot at the traditional AFL pathways.

Do I need to be playing football already to be involved?

No, although footballers at existing clubs are welcome. There are multiple programs (through the academy and its partnership with AFL Barwon) targeting different levels of skill and participation. Contact academy@geelongcats.com.au to find the right program for you.

What if I live outside the Geelong Cats’ regions?

Every AFL club has a Next Generation Academy. To find one in your area, visit www.aflvic.com.au.

Is there a cost to be involved in the Next Gen Academy?

Provided you meet the registration criteria, there is no cost to be involved in the Next Gen Academy programs.

Does Next Gen Academy guarantee my future selection in other AFL pathways?

Next Gen Academies do not guarantee selection in any further representative sides (ie. Geelong Falcons, VFL). However, the Next Gen Academy is in partnership with the Geelong Falcons, AFLNT and the Geelong VFL systems. This will mean that Next Gen participants will have great exposure to Geelong Football Club staff who are familiar with talent identification and physical development, and who are capable of making recommendations and suggestions to the above football pathways.

What does the Next Gen Academy lead to?

The Next Gen Academy can provide young multicultural and indigenous people with an opportunity to participate in the inaugural Academy program directly connected to and delivered by the Geelong Cats AFL club. This can bridge gaps between non-football playing youths and Australian Rules Football through the introduction to local football clubs and competitions across all areas of football such as playing, umpiring, sports training and coaching. AFL Next Gen Academies provide young people with introduction opportunities to other areas of the sport such as study and football education pathways. The Academies also provide exposure for both non-playing and already playing multicultural and indigenous youths to representative pathways such as Interleague and Geelong Falcons.

Where are Next Gen Academy Sessions held and how do I find out more information on when’s and where’s and how to become a part of it?

Next Gen Academy offers programs across Geelong and the Barwon region. There is also an Academy operating in East Arnhem Land, Northern Territory. The best way to find the right program for you is to complete the registration here and receive details directly. Program dates and venues will also be regularly updated on our website.

Do I have to be a Geelong supporter to participate?

No, you do not have to be a Geelong supporter to participate. The Next Gen Academy is largely about the promotion of the game of football in the Barwon, Vic and East Arnhem Land, NT regions with participation and enjoyment as priority.

Will Next Gen Academies give me opportunities to meet and be around Cats AFL players?

Yes. There will be players at many “come try” days and clinics helping academy staff, running drills and games with plenty of times for photos and autographs etc.

CONTACT US

For more information check out the Frequently Asked Questions above or send your enquiry to academy@geelongcats.com.au