Main content

Cats pull off gutsy win

Cats have a Par-ty James Parsons and Brandan Parfitt team up for an incredible goal

GEELONG'S dominance over Port Adelaide has continued, the Cats recording a 34-point victory at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

The Cats led at every change en-route to their 14th victory in their past 15 meetings with the Power – 12.12 (84) to 7.8 (50) – in front of a crowd of 45,372.

Big guns Joel Selwood – a worthy recipient of the Major Peter Badcoe VC Medal with 29 disposals - and Patrick Dangerfield (28) were outstanding. Sam Menegola (26, 18 contested), Mitch Duncan (22) and Tim Kelly (20, 10 contested) provided great support, as did George Horlin-Smith (26, two goals), who came in as a late call-up for Tom Hawkins.

Geelong's makeshift backline also did a superb job.

The Power were content to play on the wings and retain possession, having 69 more uncontested possessions than the Cats, and 44 more uncontested marks.

"When there's a big disparity in the uncontested possession, it normally speaks to either one side dominating the game, or two sides playing completely different game styles," Cats coach Chris Scott said.

"Given the inside 50s were basically even, it didn't really concern us too much that Port were taking a lot of uncontested marks.

"We knew going into the game they played that way.

"They were very prepared from the start of the game that they were happy to go around us and kick the ball backwards and try and get the ball out the open side, which can be a little bit annoying at times.

"But unless they're getting penetration from that, it's not a huge concern."

Robbie Gray (32 disposals, 16 contested and 10 clearances), Brad Ebert (23 disposals and 13 tackles) and Ollie Wines (29 disposals, 15 contested) worked hard in the Power midfield, while Hamish Hartlett (18 second-half disposals) recovered from a sickening head clash with Dangerfield to be influential in the second half.

Lindsay Thomas' time in the Power side is set to be short-lived after he was reported for a crude bump on Scott Selwood, who was concussed and didn't play any further part in the game.

On his Power debut as a late replacement for Todd Marshall, former North Melbourne forward Thomas over-ran the ball and made contact with Selwood's head.

Thomas could also come under scrutiny for a bump on Cats defender Jack Henry in the third term.

Hartlett was stretchered off the ground in the second quarter, but had a head cut taped up and returned to start the third term.

After trailing by 18 points at the six-minute mark of the second term, the Power rebounded from yet another slow start, kicking five of the next six goals to hit the front early in the third.

The Cats responded brilliantly, booting seven goals to one from that point to notch their third win of the season.

"I thought our pressure was up tonight, we were a bit better in that space, but our finish was really poor and their finish was really strong," Power coach Ken Hinkley said.

"When the game got biggest, they got best at it and were a bit stronger.
"We thought we had them under real pressure in the third quarter, then they found a way where we dominated a patch of play, but couldn't score, and that was pretty much the whole night."


Port Adelaide:
Defender Hamish Hartlett was worse for wear after a sickening head clash with Patrick Dangerfield in a collision early in the second quarter. Hartlett had blood streaming from his face and was taken from the ground on a stretcher. Hartlett had the cut taped up and returned for the start of the third term. Vice-captain Ollie Wines was helped off the ground at the start of the fourth quarter favouring his right leg, but returned about 10 minutes later.

Geelong: Scott Selwood copped a nasty bump from Lindsay Thomas in the second quarter and was ruled out for the rest of the game with concussion.

The Power return to Etihad Stadium to take on North Melbourne next Saturday, 2.10pm (AEST). Meanwhile, the Cats host a Sydney side keen to bounce back at GMHBA Stadium next Saturday, 1.45pm (AEST).


PORT ADELAIDE    1.2      4.4      7.5      7.8 (50)
GEELONG                 3.2      5.7      8.10    12.12 (84)


Port Adelaide:
Neade 2, Thomas, R.Gray, Wines, S.Gray, Amon
Geelong: Parsons 2, Horlin-Smith 2, Dangerfield, Menegola, Fogarty, Ratugolea, Murdoch, Duncan, Kelly, Menzel



Port Adelaide: Wines, R.Gray, Westhoff, Bonner, Polec

Geelong: Selwood, Dangerfield, Menegola, Horlin-Smith, Duncan, Kelly



Port Adelaide: Todd Marshall (concussion) replaced in the selected line-up by Lindsay Thomas.

Geelong: Tom Hawkins (back spasms) replaced in the selected line-up by George Horlin-Smith, Scott Selwood (concussion).


Reports: Lindsay Thomas reported for high contact on Scott Selwood


Umpires: Margetts, Gavine, Ryan


Official crowd: 45,372 at the Adelaide Oval

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs